Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A New Discipline

So, I'm starting something new, beginning today, Wednesday June 24th. There's no special significance to the date, it is just the day that I chose to begin.

I'm going to try to write a poem a day. I've been looking for a regular spiritual practice to engage in (guess what - discipline isn't my strong suit) and this is what I've picked. Ideally I'll wake up 10 minutes earlier and rattle one off each day.

I'm measuring this in terms of my last unit of CPE, so the goal is 60 poems by the end of my current unit. If you do a little easy math, you find that this will give me a few days for Mulligans and so on. We'll see how it goes.

The idea is to write things that come to mind immediately, without editing - I might say more about why I am choosing to write this way in a later post. For now, though, I consider that fair warning.

These poems will probably really, really suck. The ones that don't will likely involve plagiarism of song lyrics that are stuck in my head.

I promise nothing.

I think the poems will get posted in the evening, one a day to keep me honest.

3 comments:

Halsted M. Bernard said...

I am cheering you on!

Douglas Underhill said...

just wait until you read them...

;)

Aric Clark said...

Fascinating discipline dude. Good luck keeping up with it.