Wednesday, June 3, 2009

PIF Redux Part 3

No, I'm not done yet. Don't worry, just one more after this to slog through:

Leadership style:

I had trouble with leadership until I finally figured it out for myself. I didn’t want to tell anyone what to do – because I don’t want to be told what to do. I value consensus and cooperation very highly, and I don’t want to insist on my own way (or the highway). I love learning more about people, what they believe, what they want out of life, what they think is the right thing to do. I want to work together to create things that are greater than a simple combination of parts.

What I had to learn is that leadership is obedience. I have found leadership to be obedience to my own conscience, not violating my integrity for the sake of safety or a surface-level getting along. Leadership is also obedience to the standards set out for me, by my faith and by the office that I occupy. Leadership is obedience to the truth, even when it contradicts what I thought was true, or makes me uncomfortable, or is difficult to say out loud. Leadership is obedience to the people I am leading – I serve them and answer to them, ultimately, because I depend on them to accomplish anything I want to accomplish, and because they keep me honest and help me check my ego at the door.

At the heart of leadership is ultimate obedience to God. As a leader I believe I am called to do all I can to be a dim reflection of God’s love, and to join the great cloud of witnesses as we seek God. I know that I have more to learn than I have to teach, and I am overjoyed to know that God will always surprise me.

3 comments:

Aric Clark said...

This comes across as very (excessively?) humble. Very appealing though. You've mastered a style which feels very open and self-emptying. Kenotic.

Douglas Underhill said...

Excessively? I dunno. Each of these is one of a hundred ways I'd answer the question. The ones I've posted (and am using) were all written in this form in a single sitting, then edited for length and some content after some advice.

I felt like this was the balance I've found between not being told what to do and being handed responsibility and wanting to use it well. One way to put it anyway.

And, you know...kenotic. You're speaking my language man.

Jodie said...

Knowing one's own leadership style is hard. Unless you are a premeditated student of leadership and have made an intentional choice.

Not everyone even has a leadership style.

But if you have a public persona, you are a leader. Not a completely fair question to someone who is looking for their first pastorate.

What I got out of your statement is that your style is based on listening and serving those you lead. Excellent.